Fun Facts about Lamesa, Texas
1. Lamesa, TX is home to Chicken Fried Steak–that’s right, the delicious, southern staple was created right here in Lamesa!
2. And celebrating the culinary heritage, the City of Lamesa now hosts an annual Chicken Fried Steak festival.
3. Actor, Barry Corbin, was born in Lamesa.
4. Former Texas Governor, Preston Smith, grew up in Lamesa.
5. Home to the tallest cheerleader statue in the world. (Okay, that’s not confirmed…but it’s not like there’s a lot of statues of cheerleaders. Here’s a link for more information about her.)
7. (From the webmaster) Sharon Youngblood, is one of eight inaugural inductees into the Tarleton Rodeo Hall of Fame. Here’s more from that article on her accomplishments in her rodeo career:
Youngblood, also a member of Tarleton’s NIRA championship women’s team, continued to rodeo beyond her collegiate career winning the Arkansas Barrel Futurity in 1979 and qualified for the NFR in 1980. In 1982, she won both the North Texas Barrel Futurity and the Colorado Barrel Futurity, and in 1986-87 Youngblood won the breakaway roping title in the Texas Cowboys Rodeo Association.
8. Lamesa, Texas is home to high cotton, big skies, and an endless horizon.